Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

How to Make a Play Garden - Part 1


Recently, I came across a wonderful post at Let The Children Play entitled 
10 reasons why we should let children play in the mud. Apparently playing in mud can make you happier and smarter? That post brought back some lovely childhood memories of sitting in the mud, making bridges over puddles and it propelled me into action. For some time I have coveted  The Imagination Tree's Play Garden and have been itching to make Miss 2 her very own garden patch.  This week, we got to work and with a little a lot of help from Daddy, it came to together quite quickly. Hopefully it will rain soon and get nice and muddy!


The buffalo grass in our backyard is fast growing and aggressive and would quickly overgrow a garden patch that is not protected by a sturdy boundary. Daddy pulled up a 1.8 x 1.8m patch of grass and put some sleepers down for Miss 2's garden border (Thanks Daddy!). I wanted to create a circle in the middle that she could sit and play in so we put a stake in the centre and tied a piece of rope to the base as a measure. The rope helped us create an even circle with bricks. We made an entrance at the front of the garden and Daddy and Miss 2 got straight in there where they began turning the soil around the edge.

Some flowers were planted and since imaginary play is Miss 2's forte, I had some cupcake patty flowers which we made earlier waiting to be 'planted' as well. She has quickly taken responsibility for the garden and waters it promptly every morning while Daddy waters our herbs and veggies.

We have lots planned for this little garden. Tomorrow, we will be planting some sprouts in the holes in the bricks and Miss 2's great grandmother has promised to send flowers home with us whenever we visit. I want to make some more permanent pretend flower stakes and a few more treasures to play with in the dirt over the coming weeks too, so I suppose towards the end of summer you'll be seeing a 'Play garden - Part 2' coming from me.

11 comments:

  1. How cool is this!!! Must do this for the little one :) I would LOVE it if you could share this here on Sharing Saturday -

    http://www.mamamiasheart2heart.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday.html

    Have a great weekend

    ~MiaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is too sweet!! What a wonderful idea - your daughter is a lucky girl =-) Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just have to tell you that I am already making plans in my head for a little garden like this that I will do with my little one. Can't wait!!! Thanks so much for inspiring us and sharing this with us on Sharing Saturday.

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What a great idea and looks so inviting too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours is BEAUTIFUL! I'm so thrilled to have inspired a project on your lovely blog! You should see our play garden now, in the midst of winter....shudder! Needs a serious revamp and revitalise come spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you like it. We are very proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great play garden! I love the path you created inside the box. You're daughter looks quite content. Thanks for sharing it on It's Playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pathway inside the garden also. What fun! Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! Just starting our play garden now. LOVE the space for her to sit and play.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should say only that its awesome! The blog is informational and always produce amazing things. Flowering Trees For Sale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...